Benefits of Los Angeles Clinical Trials for Schizophrenia
Not being able to discern reality from delusion is, reasonably, an unsettling thought for any person. The loss of clarity, inability to control emotions and difficulty making connections with those around us are all things that the majority of people do not often consider, much less deal with on a daily basis. This is not the case for those suffering with schizophrenia. If you live in the Los Angeles area and are experiencing the symptoms above, there is a possibility that those feelings are due to the onset of schizophrenia. While the diagnosis can be frightening, there are many options available to help you recover. Clinical trials are great options to get access to the latest treatments.
Schizophrenia is a multifaceted disorder, and can impact many different areas of a person’s life, be it emotionally, behaviorally, or physically. Symptoms include:
- Withdrawal/wanting to be alone
- Rehearsing conversations aloud
- Inappropriate laughter or behavior
- Drug abuse and the urge to smoke
- Repetitive rumination
- Vacant expression, called flat affect
- Infrequent blinking
- Unusual positioning of the body
- Facial dyskinesia: involuntary movement of the face muscles and tongue
- Inability to engage in goal-directed behaviors
- Difficulty dealing with stress and minor problems
- Decrease in academic/job-related success
- Sensitivity to stimuli (lights, sounds, etc.)
- Difficulty focusing the eyes on slow movements
- Sped up movements/pacing
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Involuntary movement of the limbs/tremors
- Social isolation and difficulty maintaining relationships
- Lack of hygiene/self-care
- Difficulty interpreting social cues
- Memory problems
- Poor ability to concentrate
- Thought blocking – when you stop speaking mid-conversation
- Neologisms – creating new words
- Incoherent speech/combining words together in a way that doesn’t make sense
- Anosognosia –Inability to realize that you are developing schizophrenia
- Poverty speech – not participating in conversation
Los Angeles Clinical Trials for Schizophrenia
The most optimal schizophrenia treatments can be developed when the source of the disorder is determined. Los Angeles clinical trials that assess the biological factors involved in the development of schizophrenia may look at things such as brain structure and genetics. Further, they may look at how heredity alters the brain and vice-versa. These trials may study structural abnormalities, tissue growth and degeneration, brain cell functions, chromosomes, etc. Due to the fact that the condition has been shown to have a genetic component – The National Alliance on Mental Health mentions that you have a 10% chance of getting schizophrenia if you have a first degree relative with the condition – conducting medical studies may allow researchers to find a way to conduct genetic screening in those who have family members with schizophrenia, so that early detection and treatment can be made possible.
Furthermore, Los Angeles clinical trials that observe the environmental and situational factors involved in schizophrenia could be extensively beneficial. It is believed that those with the mental condition are influenced by both genetic and environmental factors. That is to say that just because you carry the genes required for the development of schizophrenia, it does not mean you will get it. You must be exposed to an environment that triggers the condition.
Environmental factors that may be assessed include:
- Birth place (urban versus rural)
- Birth order
- Socioeconomic status
- Amount of adversity faced
- Natural disasters
- Threats to safety (terrorist threats)
- Prenatal exposure to infection
- Maternal stress during pregnancy
Determining which environments trigger and exacerbate schizophrenia would be useful because it would allow scientists to determine the best schizophrenia treatments for individuals, specific to the environment in which they live.
After determining which things prompt the onset of schizophrenia, it is important to determine what the most effective management tools are, person dependent. Those hosting Los Angeles clinical trials will most likely study which medications, therapies and other devices are the safest, most useful for helping you control your symptoms, thereby taking back control of your life. These types of medical trials enable investigators to figure out if newly developed products are comparable or better than those already commonly used, Aside from drugs, research may help to uncover better counselling techniques and self-help schizophrenia treatments, as well.
Approximately three million people in the United States have schizophrenia at any given time, says Mental Help, with 21 million affected worldwide, notes The World Health Organization. If you have schizophrenia, or know someone who is affected by it, there are many treatment options available that will allow you to sufficiently manage your symptoms. Better yet, there are continuous clinical trials going on in Los Angeles, which aim to further understanding of the disorder, who it affects, and how best to maximize treatment.
If you are interested in participating in a Los Angeles clinical trial for schizophrenia, contact the Pacific Institute for Medical Research, which is an independent clinical research site specializing in psychiatry since 1982. Visit us online or call us at (310) 208-7144.