schizophrenia treatments Los Angeles

Three Little Known Facts about Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia can be a traumatic condition for those who have it and the people who care about them. These people may experience a number of different, debilitating symptoms, and are often misunderstood by others who have little experience with the mental illness. When based on stereotypes alone, those with schizophrenia are often portrayed as violent, unaware individuals who are trapped in a delusional world of their own. While delusions can be a symptom of schizophrenia, there is much more to the disorder that many might not be aware of. By becoming more informed about the unknown facts of schizophrenia, people can work to become more tolerant, understanding and helpful.

Fact #1: There are Different Types of Schizophrenia

Many people may not be aware that there are multiple types of schizophrenia. When posed with the question, “What is schizophrenia?” –  some may formulate a generalized image of the stereotypically portrayed schizophrenic person. However, according to schizophrenia facts, there are five different subtypes of the disorder:

  1. Paranoid schizophrenia – This is characterized by auditory hallucinations, delusions of suspicious nature or both. According to Psychcentral.com, unlike with other types of schizophrenia, those with paranoid schizophrenia do not experience any cognitive impairment.
  2. Disorganized schizophrenia – This is marked by a disruption to thought processing capabilities that impedes daily functioning. Those who have this type of schizophrenia often act erratically, or display inappropriate emotions for the situation.
  3. Catatonic schizophrenic – This form of the illness affects physical abilities to varying degrees. Certain people experience what is known as catatonic stupor, wherein a person stops all bodily movements for a long period of time. Others enter a catatonically excited state and experience increased movement. Further still, some may position themselves oddly, repeat what others say (echolalia), or mimic how others move (echopraxia).
  4. Undifferentiated schizophrenia. This subtype includes symptoms from all of the above, though they are not sufficient enough to diagnose a patient with any category in particular.
  5. Residual schizophrenia – A person experiences this type of schizophrenia when they no longer present symptoms of the condition, or the symptoms are less severe than at the time of diagnosis.

schizophrenia treatments Los AngelesFact #2: There are Three Distinct Categories of Symptoms

One of the other little known facts about schizophrenia is that symptoms are broken down into three distinct categories; this is true for each subtype of schizophrenia.

  1. The positive symptoms are named such because they are determined by the presence of an abnormal behavior. Symptoms included in this category are hallucinations, delusions, and catatonia.
  2. Negative symptoms are the lack of normal behaviors, such as peech reduction, absence of emotions and motivation, and societal withdrawal.
  3. Cognitive symptoms are those that impair thinking and memory processes. This list of symptoms is comprised of difficulty focusing, inability to pay attention, and trouble remembering things.

Fact #3: Schizophrenic Patients Have a Higher Chance of Committing Suicide

Another of the truly statistical schizophrenia facts is that those with schizophrenia have a 50% higher chance of committing suicide than others, says Schizophrenia.com. Of those, 10% will commit suicide, says Dosomething.org; while 40% of those who have schizophrenia will try to commit suicide at some point during the lifespan, and 60% of these people will be men, notes Schizophrenia.com. Teenagers who have schizophrenia are 50% more likely than their peers to commit suicide, adds Schizophrenia.com.

For some of those who have ever been asked, What is schizophrenia? – the answer may be an overgeneralized misinterpretation, as that is what is most commonly portrayed in society. There are many facets to schizophrenia and many different effects it can have. Becoming more educated about this condition can allow people to become more understanding, and better able to provide adequate support to those with the condition. For those who have this illness and wish to understand more facts about schizophrenia, taking part in one of the many clinical trials that researchers conduct can benefit them, as well as medicine as a whole. Los Angeles pharmaceutical trials may offer the latest treatments for schizophrenia that are not available anywhere else. Furthermore, those that are chosen to participate in the medical trials may receive free medical care, as well as compensation.

If you are interested in participating in a Los Angeles clinical trial for paranoid schizophrenia, contact the Pacific Institute for Medical Research, which is an independent clinical research site specializing in psychiatry since 1982. Visit us online or call us at (310) 208-7144.

Leave a Reply